Histoire d'Ashuelot - Histoire

Histoire d'Ashuelot - Histoire


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Ashuélot

Une rivière du New Hampshire qui prend sa source à Ashuelot Pond dans le comté de Sullivan et coule dans une direction généralement sud-ouest jusqu'à ce qu'elle se jette dans la rivière Connecticut à Hinsdale, juste avant la frontière du Massachusetts.

(SwGbt : d 1370 ; 1. 255' ; b. 35'; dr. 9' ; s. 8 k.; a. 4 8" D.sb., 2 60-pdr. Pr, 2 24-pdr. comment ., 2 20 livres Pr)

Le contrat pour la construction d'Ashuelot, une canonnière à coque en fer, à double extrémité et à roues latérales, a été attribué en juin ou juillet 1863 à Donald McKay. Sa quille a été posée à son chantier naval à East Boston, Mass., dans le courant de 1864; et le navire a été lancé le 22 juillet 1865. Elle a été livrée au chantier naval de Boston le 30 novembre de cette année ; mais, depuis que la guerre civile avait pris fin récemment, le besoin de la Marine pour ses services avait diminué. En conséquence, Ashuelot - qui avait été conçu pour les opérations dans les rivières peu profondes et les eaux côtières de la Confédération - n'a pas été mis en service avant le 4 avril 1866, le Comdr. John C. Febiger aux commandes.

À peu près à cette époque, la nouvelle canonnière a été choisie pour rejoindre Augusta dans l'escorte du moniteur à double extrémité Miantonomoh vers l'Europe. Le 11, Ashuelot s'ébranle pour tester son engin et évaluer ses qualités de navigation avant de rejoindre ses futurs consorts à New York. Les trois navires se détachent de ce port le 6 mai et se dirigent vers les eaux canadiennes. Cependant, deux jours plus tard, le Comdr. Alexander Murray d'Augusta, qui commandait le petit groupe de travail, envoya Ashuelot à Boston pour attendre l'arrivée du secrétaire adjoint à la Marine Gustavus Vasa Fox, représentant personnel du président Andrew Johnson pour porter à Saint-Pétersbourg la résolution commune du Congrès félicitant le tsar Alexandre II sur s'étant échappé indemne d'une récente tentative d'assassinat. Après avoir embarqué son distingué passager, Ashuelot a repris la route, s'est frayé un chemin à travers un champ d'icebergs qui a obstrué les approches de la côte de la Nouvelle-Écosse; et a rejoint la flottille à Halifax le 3 juin. Là, Fox - qui souhaitait démontrer la navigabilité de moniteurs qui, jusqu'alors, n'avaient jamais traversé l'Atlantique - se rendit à Miantonomoh pour le voyage.

Le trio a pris la mer deux jours plus tard et a atteint Queenstown, en Irlande, le 16. Dans ce port, Ashuelot - qui avait longtemps été prévu pour le service en Extrême-Orient - a été détaché de ses compagnons et a procédé via le cap de Bonne-Espérance, l'océan Indien et le détroit de Malacca jusqu'au Pacifique occidental. Elle a finalement rejoint l'Escadron Asiatique à Hong Kong le 15 janvier 1867 et a servi dans les eaux orientales tout au long de sa carrière.

La première mission mémorable du double-ender a commencé à Amoy au début du mois d'avril de la même année lorsque le capitaine du HMS Cormorant de la Royal Navy a informé le contre-amiral Henry H. Bell, commandant de l'escadron des États-Unis que des « aborigènes » avaient assassiné les survivants de Rover. après que l'écorce de marchand américain ait été détruite sur des rochers juste au large de la côte sud de Formose. Bell ordonna à Febiger, alors à Foochow, de se rendre à Ashuelot sur cette île pour enquêter. Lorsque la canonnière est revenue de Formose avec des preuves confirmant la tragédie, Bell a lancé une expédition punitive contre les membres de la tribu coupables, mais a laissé Ashuelot sur la côte continentale pour s'occuper des intérêts américains dans divers ports de traité chinois. Le doubleender a continué à accomplir ce devoir jusqu'au début du printemps 1868.

Au Japon à cette époque, des troubles civils ont suivi l'abolition du shogunat et la prise du pouvoir politique suprême par le Mikado, attirant Ashuelot dans l'empire insulaire. Elle a atteint Nagasaki le 6 avril et, avec ses warshs américains de soeur, est restée neutre tout en fournissant le refuge aux citoyens américains et aux étrangers en danger. Elle a également offert l'asile aux fonctionnaires japonais des deux côtés qui se sont sentis menacés, à la fin du printemps, les troubles dans le nord de la Chine ont forcé Ashuelot à retourner sur le continent asiatique. Il prend la mer le 17 juin et, six jours plus tard, atteint Tientsin, alors menacé par les rebelles chinois. Il a travaillé le long des côtes du nord de la Chine jusqu'à ce qu'il parte pour le Japon à la fin du mois d'août.

Ainsi, les opérations de la canonnière au cours de sa première année environ en Extrême-Orient ont donné le ton pour le reste de son service. Elle s'est déplacée de port en port le long de la côte asiatique et parmi les îles voisines, réaffirmant la présence et la puissance américaines dans cette partie du monde, recherchant fréquemment des points chauds afin qu'elle puisse être à portée de main comme refuge pour les Américains en danger et pour d'autres en péril, indigènes et étrangers.

Au fil des années, l'escadron a de plus en plus profité du tirant d'eau relativement faible de l'Ashuelot et de la grande maniabilité qui découle de sa configuration à double extrémité en l'utilisant de plus en plus dans les opérations fluviales. Ainsi, après le massacre de 22 Européens - dont 10 religieuses - en juin 1870, elle quitta Shanghai et se dirigea vers le nord jusqu'à l'embouchure du Pei-Ho qu'elle atteignit le 26 juillet. Elle remonta ensuite cette rivière jusqu'à Tientsin où l'atrocité s'était produite et resta dans cette ancienne ville jusqu'au printemps de l'année suivante. Il reprit la route le 23 avril 1871 lorsque la glace du fleuve s'était dégelée lui permettant de reprendre la mer. À partir de ce moment, Ashuelot et ses navires de guerre sœurs de l'Escadron asiatique passèrent fréquemment l'hiver enfermés dans les eaux gelées d'un port du nord.

Son prochain engagement devait être la participation à l'expédition en Corée dirigée par le contre-amiral John Rodgers pour demander réparation pour le meurtre de l'équipage du général Sherman. Cette goélette marchande américaine s'était échouée sur un banc de sable de la rivière Taedong lors d'une mission commerciale et avait été incendiée. Cependant, une commission d'enquête a constaté que la coque d'Ashuelot avait subi des dommages importants pendant ses mois de glace et que son moteur et ses chaudières nécessitaient des réparations majeures avant de pouvoir reprendre le service actif. Ainsi, elle a été contrainte de renoncer à son rôle dans les opérations au printemps de 1871 pour ouvrir le « Royaume ermite » de Corée.

Ses travaux de jardinage à Shanghai étaient terminés à l'automne lorsque la nouvelle de graves troubles dans le sud-est de la Chine l'envoya dans la province de Fukien. Elle arriva à Foochow le 21 octobre et y resta jusqu'au 29 décembre 1871 lorsqu'elle retourna vers Shanghai. Mais pour une course à Formose début mars pour transporter le consul américain à Amoy et son personnel sur cette île Ashuelot.

Ashuelot a opéré le long de la côte chinoise entre Shanghai et Hong Kong jusqu'à ce qu'il navigue vers le Japon à la fin du mois de mai 1872. Il atteint Nagasaki le 1er juin et reste dans les eaux japonaises pendant deux mois avant de se déplacer vers le nord de la Chine. Le navire arriva à Chefoo le 3 septembre, atteignit Tientsin quinze jours plus tard et commença une autre mission protégeant les intérêts américains dans ce voisinage jusqu'à l'été 1873.

Après avoir été relevé par la canonnière à vis Saco, le navire a navigué pour Nagasaki le 5 juillet et a opéré dans les eaux japonaises jusqu'au printemps 1874 lorsque --- commandé par le Comdr. Edmund Matthews-elle a navigué pour la Chine et a atteint Shanghai le 20 avril Le 3 mai, le side-wheeler a envoyé une force à terre pour rejoindre un Ian dans l'art de la canonnière Yantic et des contingents d'autres navires de guerre pour mettre fin à une émeute et protéger le règlement international dans cette ville.

Cinq jours plus tard, Ashuelot se mit en route pour étudier le canal Li-Sye Chan et, après avoir terminé cette tâche, arriva à Chinkiang le 16 mai. Suite à un appel sur le taotai de ce
région, Matthews a pris la tête et a atteint Nankin le 21. Là, il apprit que vicer en amont était profondément troublé par les informations faisant état d'une expédition japonaise à Formose et lui assura
que les États-Unis ne participaient pas à l'invasion.

À chaque étape de sa montée continue - Kiukiang, Wuchang, Hankow, Fow-Kow et Kweichowfu - le capitaine du navire échangeait des politesses avec les autorités locales. Après qu'Ashuelot ait traversé le lac Tungting, elle a constaté que le courant rapide, les virages serrés et le rétrécissement du ruisseau ralentissaient considérablement sa progression et augmentaient considérablement la difficulté et le danger de son mouvement. En conséquence, peu de temps après que le navire a atteint Ichang, Matthews et un petit groupe d'officiers et d'invités ont débarqué et ont fait une marche de huit jours dans la vallée du Yangtsé pour déterminer s'il serait prudent ou non pour lui d'essayer de prendre le navire. encore plus haut. Le voyage par voie terrestre a amené le groupe à Kweifu. Après une visite de deux jours, les Américains embarquent sur une jonque qui les ramène en aval vers Ashuelot à Ichang. L'observation par Matthews des gorges et des rapides pendant le passage de retour l'a convaincu que seul un bateau à vapeur à roues à aubes spécialement conçu et très puissant - dont les roues étaient propulsées indépendamment par des moteurs séparés - pouvait négocier en toute sécurité cette partie du haut Yangtze.

Ainsi, au lieu de continuer le voyage à l'intérieur des terres après être retourné à son navire, Matthews a tourné le navire vers la mer et a atteint Shanghai le 21 juillet. Néanmoins, le voyage d'exploration d'Ashuelot de Shanghai à Ichang avait tracé un sentier aquatique sur près de mille milles en Chine, un qui sera suivi jusqu'à la veille de la Seconde Guerre mondiale par la longue liste des hommes de guerre fluviaux américains qui seraient connus de l'histoire. comme la Patrouille Yantzé.

La canonnière partit pour le Japon le 3 août 1874 et atteignit Nagasa. le 5 pour attendre un groupe de scientifiques dirigé par le célèbre astronome américain, le professeur James Craig Watson, qui avait été envoyé en Orient pour observer le transit de Vénus qui aurait lieu le 8 décembre. Après avoir accueilli à son bord ces chefs de file renommés de la recherche astrophysique, il prend la mer le 3 septembre et, cinq jours plus tard, pénètre dans la rivière Pei Ho. Le 9, les astronomes débarquèrent à Tientsin et se dirigèrent par voie terrestre jusqu'à Pékin, leur point d'observation pour le transit.

Après avoir débarqué ses savants passagers, l'Ashuelot a opéré dans les eaux chinoises jusqu'au 10 décembre 1874, date à laquelle il a mis le cap sur Nagasaki. Elle est arrivée le 13 et a repris ses opérations dans les eaux japonaises où elle a opéré jusqu'à ce qu'elle navigue vers Shanghai le 19 juin 1875. À la mi-août, la goélette à vapeur a mis le cap sur l'île des pêcheurs, près de Swatow, où elle gardait un groupe de sauveteurs qui étaient tenter de récupérer le trésor de l'épave du Ja an, un paquebot de la Pacific Mail Steamship Company qui avait pris feu et s'était effondré à environ 25 milles au large de Breaker Point le 18 décembre 1868. Des pirates avaient récemment été actifs dans la région, faisant craindre qu'ils tenterait de saisir tous les objets de valeur pris dans la carcasse coulée.

Le printemps suivant, la canonnière s'est rendue au Siam pour enquêter sur les plaintes selon lesquelles l'action arbitraire du consul américain à Ban gko ok avait empêché l'expédition à temps à Philadelphie de l'exposition siamoise qui avait été préparée sur ordre du jeune monarque thaïlandais Rama IV - le fils de Chao Fa Mongkut qui a été immortalisé par la comédie musicale de Rodgers et Hammerstein, "Le roi et moi", pour être exposé à l'exposition du centenaire des États-Unis. Elle atteignit Bangkok le 23 avril 1876, et Matthews y passa plus de quinze jours, partageant son temps entre l'échange de courtoisies diplomatiques et l'interrogatoire des Américains et des Siamois sur la situation. Ashuelot a navigué pour Cochin, en Chine, le 9 mai et a atteint Saig quatre jours plus tard. Là, Matthews a rapporté que le diplomate américain autoritaire avait été loin d'être diplomate. Il est ensuite retourné à Bangkok, a embarqué l'exposition et l'a transportée via Saigon jusqu'à Hong Kong où elle a été transférée à un navire marchand qui l'a emmenée aux États-Unis.

De temps en temps dans les années qui ont suivi, la canonnière est retournée au Siam, en plus de visiter les ports de traité de la Chine et du Japon. Les relations entre ces deux derniers pays étaient alors de plus en plus tendues à mesure que le Japon devenait plus actif dans les affaires des îles du Pacifique occidental - telles que Formose et les Ryukyus - qui rendaient depuis longtemps hommage à l'empereur chinois. Lorsque les négociations entre les deux nations devinrent plus tendues à la fin de l'été 1877, Ashuelot se rendit à Chefoo où elle arriva le 13 août. Elle y resta jusqu'à l'automne, prête à aider les citoyens américains des environs s'ils étaient menacés par le déclenchement d'une guerre ou de troubles domestiques. Le 7 octobre, elle est devenue en route de Nagasaki et s'est dirigée vers Tientsin où elle est arrivée le 10ème.

Lorsque la tension s'est quelque peu relâchée, la canonnière a navigué vers le sud le 21 novembre 1877 et, six jours plus tard, est arrivée à Shanghai pour des réparations. Au printemps 1878, il retourne à Nagasaki et opère dans les eaux japonaises jusqu'à son retour dans le sud de la Chine le 1er novembre pour des réparations supplémentaires avant de visiter les Philippines en décembre 1878 et le Siam en janvier 1879.

Le printemps de cette année-là apporta à Ashuelot l'une de ses missions les plus intéressantes. Le 30 avril, le vapeur Irrawaddy avec le général Ulysses S. Grant et son groupe à bord sont entrés dans le port de Hong Kong. Après avoir quitté la Maison Blanche environ deux ans plus tôt, l'ancien président avait entamé une croisière autour du monde ; et il souhaitait visiter la Chine et le Japon avant de rentrer chez lui. Ashuelot a habillé le navire et a occupé les chantiers en l'honneur de son ancien commandant en chef. Peu de temps après, Grant visita brièvement la canonnière qui avait été chargée de le transporter alors qu'il se trouvait dans les eaux chinoises. Il lui est revenu le 5 mai et elle l'a emmené à Canton et à Macao. Elle est retournée à Hong Kong le 10, et il est allé à terre pendant deux derniers jours dans cette colonie de la couronne britannique.

Le général et son groupe sont retournés au shi le 12, et elle a pris la mer pour des visites à Swato Amoy en route vers Shanghai qu'elle a atteint le 17. Au terme d'une visite de six jours là-bas, Grant rembarqua à Ashuelot ; et elle l'emmena jusqu'à l'embouchure de la rivière Pei Ho, puis remonta cet estuaire jusqu'à Tientsin où il quitta à nouveau le navire et se rendit par petits bateaux à Pékin pour des discussions avec le prince Kung qui dirigeait l'empire chinois en tant que régent pendant les sept ans. le vieil empereur devenait adulte. Au cours de leurs entretiens, le prince a expliqué à Grant la position de la Chine sur son différend avec le Japon concernant le contrôle des îles Ryukyu et a demandé ses bons offices à cet égard lors de la prochaine visite du général au Japon. Après avoir quitté Pékin, Grant retourna à Tientsin où il embarqua à Ashuelot pour se rendre à l'embouchure de la rivière. Là, le sloop de guerre à vis attendait pour emmener Grant au Japon.

Le 15 juin, Ashuelot est devenu en route et a procédé via Chefoo à Nagasaki. Elle a opéré dans les eaux japonaises jusqu'à l'automne quand elle est revenue en Chine.

À ce moment-là, les années avaient fait des ravages sur la canonnière, à tel point qu'elle était connue dans tout l'escadron comme « l'espoir du quincaillier ». Néanmoins, comme aucun remplaçant n'était disponible, il a été retenu dans l'Escadron Asiatique et rafistolé pour un service ultérieur. Elle arriva à Shanghai le 10 octobre 1879 et y resta subissant d'importantes réparations jusqu'au printemps 1880.

Ashuelot quitta Shanghai le 20 juin de cette même année et atteignit Nagasaki le 23. Pendant les deux ans et demi suivants, elle a opéré le long de la côte de la Chine, jusqu'à Yangtze et parmi les ports de traité du Japon. Le 17 février 1883, la canonnière quitte Amoy et met le cap sur Swatow. Alors qu'il traversait un épais brouillard avant l'aube le lendemain matin, l'Ashuelot heurta un rocher au large de l'île de Lamock Est et subit des dommages si graves qu'il dut être abandonné. Onze hommes périrent avec le navire.


Histoire d'Ashuelot - Histoire

Horaires du musée : Du mercredi au dimanche : de 11h00 à 16h00.

Histoire

La ville de Keene, dans le New Hampshire, est située dans la vallée de la rivière Ashuelot et est entourée de sept collines. Cette géographie naturelle était parfaite pour l'industrie textile florissante au début des années 1800. La rivière Ashuelot a fourni l'énergie hydraulique pour faire fonctionner les machines de la nouvelle révolution industrielle et ainsi l'industrie du moulin a prospéré à Keene. Les terres plates étaient les plus faciles à cultiver, mais les collines escarpées et rocheuses entourant Keene étaient impossibles à labourer. Cependant, ils fournissaient un pâturage parfait pour les moutons et les moutons fournissaient la matière première pour la fabrication de draps de laine. Au milieu du XIXe siècle, le chemin de fer a ouvert l'accès aux terres agricoles du Midwest, par conséquent les élevages de moutons locaux ont commencé à disparaître.

L'histoire de la réserve naturelle de la colonie d'Horatio a commencé en 1892 lorsque le grand-père d'Horatio, la colonie I d'Horatio, a acheté la ferme Japhet Parker, qui comptait 132 acres de pâturage de moutons abandonné au sommet de West Hill à Keene. La famille Colony a rapidement construit Tip-Top House au sommet du versant nord - une cabane d'été où ils ont passé de nombreux dimanches après-midi à profiter de la solitude et de la vue imprenable sur Keene. Horatio J'ai tellement aimé la terre qu'il l'a agrandie. Entre 1892 et 1925, il a acheté neuf autres lots, reconstituant ce qui constitue aujourd'hui la réserve naturelle.

Horatio Colony II a hérité de la holding West Hill. Ayant un grand respect pour les bois et la faune de la Nouvelle-Angleterre, il a permis à la forêt de se régénérer naturellement. La cabane, qu'il a construite en 1938 pour offrir paix et solitude à ses efforts d'écriture, se trouve toujours sur le côté du sentier d'entrée de la réserve naturelle. Ce havre de paix dans les bois qu'il avait appris à aimer a inspiré Horatio tout au long de sa vie.

Son désir de sauvegarder cette ressource écologique unique l'a amené à mettre de côté ses terres comme réserve faunique et étude de la nature, à utiliser à des fins d'éducation et de recherche à perpétuité.

La réserve naturelle s'étend maintenant sur 645 acres, avec un complexe de sentiers de 5 miles ouvert au public.


Histoire d'Ashuelot - Histoire

Une rivière du New Hampshire qui prend sa source à Ashuelot Pond dans le comté de Sullivan et coule dans une direction généralement sud-ouest jusqu'à ce qu'elle se jette dans la rivière Connecticut à Hinsdale, juste avant la frontière du Massachusetts.

(SwGbt : d 1370 1. 255' b. 35' dr. 9' s. 8 k. a. 4 8" D.sb., 2 60-pdr. P.r., 2 24-pdr. comment., 2 20-pdr. P.r.)

Le contrat pour la construction d'Ashuelot, une canonnière à coque en fer, à double extrémité et à roues latérales, a été attribué en juin ou juillet 1863 à Donald McKay. Sa quille a été posée à son chantier naval à East Boston, Mass., dans le courant de 1864 et le navire a été lancé le 22 juillet 1865. Elle a été livrée au Boston Navy Yard le 30 novembre de cette année mais, depuis la guerre civile avait récemment terminé, le besoin de la Marine pour ses services avait diminué. En conséquence, Ashuelot - qui avait été conçu pour les opérations dans les rivières peu profondes et les eaux côtières de la Confédération - n'a pas été mis en service avant le 4 avril 1866, le Comdr. John C. Febiger aux commandes.

À peu près à cette époque, la nouvelle canonnière a été choisie pour rejoindre Augusta dans l'escorte du moniteur à double extrémité Miantonomoh vers l'Europe. Le 11, Ashuelot s'ébranle pour tester son engin et évaluer ses qualités de navigation avant de rejoindre ses futurs consorts à New York. Les trois navires se détachent de ce port le 6 mai et se dirigent vers les eaux canadiennes. Cependant, deux jours plus tard, le Comdr. Alexander Murray d'Augusta, qui commandait le petit groupe de travail, envoya Ashuelot à Boston pour attendre l'arrivée du secrétaire adjoint à la Marine Gustavus Vasa Fox, représentant personnel du président Andrew Johnson pour porter à Saint-Pétersbourg la résolution commune du Congrès félicitant le tsar Alexandre II sur s'étant échappé indemne d'une récente tentative d'assassinat. Après avoir embarqué son distingué passager, l'Ashuelot reprit la route, se fraya un chemin à travers un champ d'icebergs qui obstruait les approches de la côte de la Nouvelle-Écosse et rejoignit la flottille à Halifax le 3 juin. Là, Fox - qui souhaitait démontrer la navigabilité de moniteurs qui, jusqu'alors, n'avaient jamais traversé l'Atlantique - se rendit à Miantonomoh pour le voyage.

Le trio a pris la mer deux jours plus tard et a atteint Queenstown, en Irlande, le 16. Dans ce port, Ashuelot - qui avait longtemps été prévu pour le service en Extrême-Orient - a été détaché de ses compagnons et a procédé via le cap de Bonne-Espérance, l'océan Indien et le détroit de Malacca jusqu'au Pacifique occidental. Elle a finalement rejoint l'Escadron Asiatique à Hong Kong le 15 janvier 1867 et a servi dans les eaux orientales tout au long de sa carrière.

La première mission mémorable du double-ender a commencé à Amoy au début d'avril de la même année lorsque le capitaine du HMS Cormorant de la Royal Navy a informé le contre-amiral Henry H. Bell, commandant de l'escadron des États-Unis que des "autochtones" avaient assassiné les survivants de Rover après cela. L'écorce marchande américaine avait été détruite sur des rochers juste au large de la côte sud de Formose. Bell ordonna à Febiger, alors à Foochow, de se rendre à Ashuelot sur cette île pour enquêter. Lorsque la canonnière est revenue de Formose avec des preuves confirmant la tragédie, Bell a lancé une expédition punitive contre les membres de la tribu coupables, mais a laissé Ashuelot sur la côte continentale pour s'occuper des intérêts américains dans divers ports de traité chinois. Le doubleender a continué à accomplir ce devoir jusqu'au début du printemps 1868.

Au Japon à cette époque, des troubles civils ont suivi l'abolition du shogunat et la prise du pouvoir politique suprême par le Mikado, attirant Ashuelot dans l'empire insulaire. Elle a atteint Nagasaki le 6 avril et, avec ses warshs américains de soeur, est restée neutre tout en fournissant le refuge aux citoyens américains et aux étrangers en danger. Elle a également offert l'asile aux fonctionnaires japonais des deux côtés qui se sont sentis menacés, à la fin du printemps, les troubles dans le nord de la Chine ont forcé Ashuelot à retourner sur le continent asiatique. Il prend la mer le 17 juin et, six jours plus tard, atteint Tientsin, alors menacé par les rebelles chinois. Il a travaillé le long des côtes du nord de la Chine jusqu'à ce qu'il parte pour le Japon à la fin du mois d'août.

Ainsi, les opérations de la canonnière au cours de sa première année environ en Extrême-Orient ont donné le ton pour le reste de son service. Elle s'est déplacée de port en port le long de la côte asiatique et parmi les îles voisines, réaffirmant la présence et la puissance américaines dans cette partie du monde, recherchant fréquemment des points chauds afin qu'elle puisse être à portée de main comme refuge pour les Américains en danger et pour d'autres en péril, indigènes et étrangers.

Au fil des années, l'escadron a de plus en plus profité du tirant d'eau relativement faible de l'Ashuelot et de la grande maniabilité qui découle de sa configuration à double extrémité en l'utilisant de plus en plus dans les opérations fluviales. Ainsi, après le massacre de 22 Européens - dont 10 religieuses - en juin 1870, elle quitta Shanghai et se dirigea vers le nord jusqu'à l'embouchure du Pei-Ho qu'elle atteignit le 26 juillet. Elle remonta ensuite cette rivière jusqu'à Tientsin où l'atrocité s'était produite et resta dans cette ancienne ville jusqu'au printemps de l'année suivante. Il reprit la route le 23 avril 1871 lorsque la glace de la rivière avait fondu, lui permettant de reprendre la mer. À partir de ce moment, Ashuelot et ses navires de guerre sœurs de l'Escadron asiatique passèrent fréquemment l'hiver enfermés dans les eaux gelées d'un port du nord.

Son prochain engagement devait être la participation à l'expédition en Corée dirigée par le contre-amiral John Rodgers pour demander réparation pour le meurtre de l'équipage du General Sherman. Cette goélette marchande américaine s'était échouée sur un banc de sable de la rivière Taedong lors d'une mission commerciale et avait été incendiée. Cependant, une commission d'enquête a constaté que la coque d'Ashuelot avait subi des dommages importants pendant ses mois de glace et que son moteur et ses chaudières nécessitaient des réparations majeures avant de pouvoir reprendre le service actif. Ainsi, elle a été contrainte de renoncer à son rôle dans les opérations au printemps de 1871 pour ouvrir le "Royaume ermite" de Corée.

Ses travaux de jardinage à Shanghai étaient terminés à l'automne lorsque la nouvelle de graves troubles dans le sud-est de la Chine l'envoya dans la province de Fukien. Elle arriva à Foochow le 21 octobre et y resta jusqu'au 29 décembre 1871 lorsqu'elle retourna vers Shanghai. Mais pour une course à Formose début mars pour transporter le consul américain à Amoy et son personnel sur cette île Ashuelot.

Ashuelot a opéré le long de la côte chinoise entre Shanghai et Hong Kong jusqu'à ce qu'il navigue vers le Japon à la fin du mois de mai 1872. Il atteint Nagasaki le 1er juin et reste dans les eaux japonaises pendant deux mois avant de se déplacer vers le nord de la Chine. Le navire arriva à Chefoo le 3 septembre, atteignit Tientsin quinze jours plus tard et commença une autre mission protégeant les intérêts américains dans ce voisinage jusqu'à l'été 1873.

Après avoir été relevé par la canonnière à vis Saco, le navire a navigué pour Nagasaki le 5 juillet et a opéré dans les eaux japonaises jusqu'au printemps 1874 lorsque --- commandé par le Comdr. Edmund Matthews-elle a navigué pour la Chine et a atteint Shanghai le 20 avril Le 3 mai, le side-wheeler a envoyé une force à terre pour rejoindre un Ian dans l'art de la canonnière Yantic et des contingents d'autres navires de guerre du parti pour réprimer une émeute et protéger le règlement international dans cette ville.

Cinq jours plus tard, Ashuelot se mit en route pour inspecter le canal Li-Sye Chan et, après avoir terminé cette tâche, arriva à Chinkiang le 16 mai. Suite à un appel sur le taotai de ce
région, Matthews a pris la tête et a atteint Nankin le 21. Là, il apprit que vicer en amont était profondément troublé par les informations faisant état d'une expédition japonaise à Formose et lui assura
que les États-Unis ne participaient pas à l'invasion.

A chaque arrêt au cours de son ascension continue - Kiukiang, Wuchang, Hankow, Fow-Kow et Kweichowfu - le capitaine du navire échangeait des politesses avec les autorités locales. Après qu'Ashuelot ait traversé le lac Tungting, elle a constaté que le courant rapide, les virages serrés et le rétrécissement du ruisseau ralentissaient considérablement sa progression et augmentaient considérablement la difficulté et le danger de son mouvement. En conséquence, peu de temps après que le navire a atteint Ichang, Matthews et un petit groupe d'officiers et d'invités ont débarqué et ont fait une marche de huit jours dans la vallée du Yangtsé pour déterminer s'il serait prudent ou non pour lui d'essayer de prendre le navire. encore plus haut. Le voyage par voie terrestre a amené le groupe à Kweifu. Après une visite de deux jours, les Américains embarquent sur une jonque qui les ramène en aval vers Ashuelot à Ichang. L'observation par Matthews des gorges et des rapides pendant le passage de retour l'a convaincu que seul un bateau à vapeur à roues à aubes spécialement conçu et très puissant - dont les roues étaient propulsées indépendamment par des moteurs séparés - pouvait négocier en toute sécurité cette partie du haut Yangtze.

Ainsi, au lieu de continuer le voyage à l'intérieur des terres après être retourné à son navire, Matthews a tourné le navire vers la mer et a atteint Shanghai le 21 juillet. Néanmoins, le voyage d'exploration d'Ashuelot de Shanghai à Ichang avait tracé une piste aquatique de près de mille milles en Chine, qui sera suivie jusqu'à la veille de la Seconde Guerre mondiale par la longue liste de navires de guerre américains qui seraient connus de l'histoire. comme la Patrouille Yantzé.

La canonnière partit pour le Japon le 3 août 1874 et atteignit Nagasa. le 5 pour attendre un groupe de scientifiques dirigé par le célèbre astronome américain, le professeur James Craig Watson, qui avait été envoyé en Orient pour observer le transit de Vénus qui aurait lieu le 8 décembre. Après avoir accueilli à son bord ces chefs de file renommés de la recherche astrophysique, il prend la mer le 3 septembre et, cinq jours plus tard, pénètre dans la rivière Pei Ho. Le 9, les astronomes débarquèrent à Tientsin et se dirigèrent par voie terrestre jusqu'à Pékin, leur point d'observation pour le transit.

Après avoir débarqué ses savants passagers, l'Ashuelot a opéré dans les eaux chinoises jusqu'au 10 décembre 1874, date à laquelle il a mis le cap sur Nagasaki. Elle est arrivée le 13 et a repris ses opérations dans les eaux japonaises où elle a opéré jusqu'à ce qu'elle navigue vers Shanghai le 19 juin 1875. À la mi-août, la goélette à vapeur a mis le cap sur l'île des pêcheurs, près de Swatow, où elle gardait un groupe de sauveteurs qui étaient tenter de récupérer le trésor de l'épave du Ja an, un paquebot de la Pacific Mail Steamship Company qui avait pris feu et s'était effondré à environ 25 milles au large de Breaker Point le 18 décembre 1868. Des pirates avaient récemment été actifs dans la région, faisant craindre qu'ils tenterait de saisir tous les objets de valeur pris dans la carcasse coulée.

Le printemps suivant, la canonnière s'est rendue au Siam pour enquêter sur les plaintes selon lesquelles l'action arbitraire du consul américain à Ban gko ok avait empêché l'expédition à temps à Philadelphie de l'exposition siamoise qui avait été préparée sur ordre du jeune monarque thaïlandais Rama IV - le fils de Chao Fa Mongkut qui a été immortalisé par la comédie musicale Rodgers et Hammerstein, "The King and I"-pour l'exposition à l'exposition du centenaire des États-Unis. Elle atteignit Bangkok le 23 avril 1876, et Matthews y passa plus de quinze jours, partageant son temps entre l'échange de courtoisies diplomatiques et l'interrogatoire des Américains et des Siamois sur la situation. Ashuelot a navigué pour Cochin, en Chine, le 9 mai et a atteint Saig quatre jours plus tard. Là, Matthews a rapporté que le diplomate américain autoritaire avait été loin d'être diplomate. Il est ensuite retourné à Bangkok, a embarqué l'exposition et l'a transportée via Saigon jusqu'à Hong Kong où elle a été transférée à un navire marchand qui l'a emmenée aux États-Unis.

De temps en temps dans les années qui ont suivi, la canonnière est retournée au Siam, en plus de visiter les ports de traité de la Chine et du Japon. Les relations entre ces deux derniers pays étaient alors de plus en plus tendues à mesure que le Japon devenait plus actif dans les affaires des îles du Pacifique occidental - telles que Formose et les Ryukyus - qui rendaient depuis longtemps hommage à l'empereur chinois. Lorsque les négociations entre les deux nations devinrent plus tendues à la fin de l'été 1877, Ashuelot se rendit à Chefoo où elle arriva le 13 août. Elle y resta jusqu'à l'automne, prête à aider les citoyens américains des environs s'ils étaient menacés par le déclenchement d'une guerre ou de troubles domestiques. Le 7 octobre, elle est devenue en route de Nagasaki et s'est dirigée vers Tientsin où elle est arrivée le 10ème.

Lorsque la tension s'est quelque peu relâchée, la canonnière a navigué vers le sud le 21 novembre 1877 et, six jours plus tard, est arrivée à Shanghai pour des réparations. Au printemps 1878, il retourne à Nagasaki et opère dans les eaux japonaises jusqu'à son retour dans le sud de la Chine le 1er novembre pour des réparations supplémentaires avant de visiter les Philippines en décembre 1878 et le Siam en janvier 1879.

Le printemps de cette année-là apporta à Ashuelot l'une de ses missions les plus intéressantes. Le 30 avril, le vapeur Irrawaddy avec le général Ulysses S. Grant et son groupe à bord sont entrés dans le port de Hong Kong. Après avoir quitté la Maison Blanche environ deux ans plus tôt, l'ancien président avait entamé une croisière autour du monde et il souhaitait visiter la Chine et le Japon avant de rentrer chez lui. Ashuelot a habillé le navire et a occupé les chantiers en l'honneur de son ancien commandant en chef. Peu de temps après, Grant visita brièvement la canonnière qui avait été chargée de le transporter alors qu'il se trouvait dans les eaux chinoises. Il lui est revenu le 5 mai et elle l'a emmené à Canton et à Macao. Elle est retournée à Hong Kong le 10, et il est allé à terre pendant deux derniers jours dans cette colonie de la couronne britannique.

Le général et son groupe sont retournés au shi le 12, et elle a pris la mer pour des visites à Swato Amoy en route vers Shanghai qu'elle a atteint le 17. At the end of a six-day visit there, Grant reembarked in Ashuelot and she took him to the mouth of the Pei Ho River and then up that estuary to Tientsin where he again left the ship and proceeded by small boats to Peking for discussions with Prince Kung who ruled the Chinese Empire as regent while the seven-year-old Emperor was growing to adulthood. During their meetings, the Prince explained to Grant China's position on its dispute with Japan over control of the Ryukyu Islands and requested his good offices in regard to the matter during the general's forthcoming visit to Japan. After leaving Peking, Grant returned to Tientsin where he boarded Ashuelot for passage to the mouth of the river. There, the screw sloop of war awaited to take Grant to Japan.

On 15 June, Ashuelot got underway and proceeded via Chefoo to Nagasaki. She operated in Japanese waters until autumn when she returned to China.

By that time the years had taken their toll on the gunboat-so much so that she had come to be known throughout the squadron as "the ironmonger's hope." Nevertheless, since no replacement for her was availabl, she was retained in the Asiatic Squadron and patched up for further service. She arrived at Shanghai on 10 October 1879 and remained there undergoing extensive repairs through the spring of 1880.

Ashuelot departed Shanghai on 20 June of that ear and reached Nagasaki on the 23d. For the next two and one-half years, she operated along the coast of China, up the Yangtze, and among the treaty ports of Japan. On 17 February 1883, the gunboat departed Amoy and set a course for Swatow. While she was proceeding through heavy fog before dawn the next morning, Ashuelot struck a rock off East Lamock Island and suffered such severe damage that she had to be abandoned. Eleven men perished with the ship.


The Ashuelot River

Southwestern New Hampshire’s hidden gem provides a variety of habitats for and an even more impressive list of fish species.

How would you like to fish a river that provides 60-plus miles of varied habitats and hosts an even more impressive list of fish species? From swift trout riffles, deep holes, long runs, and warmwater ponds, this river has options for both fly- and spin-fishermen to catch bass, pickerel, trout, walleye, and catfish. Sound like a place you’d like to visit? Then look no further than the Ashuelot River in southwestern New Hampshire.

Histoire

For hundreds of years, communities relied on the Ashuelot River to produce power for textile manufacturing and wood plants. Some locals can still remember when the color of the river changed with what the local mills were manufacturing. According to the New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services, 12 Native American historical sites have been found along the Ashuelot River, including the oldest known evidence of humans in New Hampshire dating back 10,500 years.

The Gilsum Stone Arch Bridge marks the beginning of a great section of spring trout water along “River Road” between Route 10 in Gilsum and Route 12A in Surry.

The Ashuelot River has played an important role in the restoration of anadromous fish to the Connecticut River Basin. Three dams between Swanzey and Hinsdale have been removed in the past 15 years to allow anadromous fish access to historical spawning habitat and provide resident fish species with easy upstream and downstream movement. Until the Atlantic Salmon Restoration Program ended in 2012, an average of 121,000 salmon fry was stocked into the Ashuelot Watershed each year. The river continues to be an important focus area for American shad and American eel, and the river was listed as a Designated River in 1993, and has been recognized by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service as one of the four most important areas for the dwarf wedge mussel, a federally endangered species.

Trout

It’s no surprise that trout are the most popular species in the Ashuelot. Each year, the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department stocks almost 10,000 rainbow and brown trout into the Ashuelot. Approximately 4,000 of each species are stocked upstream of Surry Mountain Lake in the towns of Marlow, Gilsum, and Surry. Downstream of Surry Mountain Lake, a total of 900 of each species are stocked in the towns of Swanzey and Winchester. Additionally, the South Branch of the Ashuelot receives 2,500 brown trout each year in the towns of Troy and Swanzey, and contains a fly-fishing-only section that holds fish well into the fall.

Occasionally, I have caught wild brookies in the main stem during spring, but warm water temperatures tend to keep them from using most of the main river. Although the section of river between Butterfield Pond and Ashuelot Pond is not stocked with trout, I have heard of wild brook trout being caught in this area.

Fish the Ashuelot River above and below the picturesque Village Pond in Marlow for spring trout opportunities.

Sections along Washington Pond Road and below the Village Pond in Marlow are good places to hit for stocked trout, as are areas along Route 10 in Marlow and Gilsum.

The section between Route 10 in Gilsum and Route 12A in Surry is a must for early-season trout anglers. The river parallels the road for quite a length between these two larger routes. Locals call it “River Road”, but the real name is Surry Road or Gilsum Road, depending on which town you are in at the time. There are plenty of riffles and runs to fish, and a really nice bend pool where Gilsum Road meets Route 12A. Dort Road off Route 12A in Surry gives anglers access to some nice water as well.

Once the river enters Surry Mountain Lake, trout fishing doesn’t pick up again until the general area of Coombs Bridge in Swanzey. This location gets a limited number of browns and is a slow moving piece of water, best suited for kayak or canoe fishing. The location of the former dam in the center of Winchester can provide some fast action soon after stocking.

Fishing gets good again in the riffles and runs on either side of the Ashuelot Covered Bridge along Route 119 in the Village of Ashuelot. Sections between the two upper dams on Route 119 and below the lower of these two dams can provide some excellent opportunities for trout. Riffles, runs, and some deep pools provide great trout habitat and are loaded with aquatic insects, minnows, and crayfish. Be careful, as the water is dark with large boulders that are easy to slip on. This is a great spot for fly-anglers and a good location to find holdover trout.

Looking upstream at the Fiske Mill Dam in Hinsdale, the lowermost dam on the Ashuelot River. Walleye, smallmouth bass, and brown trout are found between the dam and the confluence with the Connecticut River.

The section below the Fiske Mill Dam in the center of Hinsdale to the confluence with the Connecticut River is the mostly likely spot to find big brown trout. The farther downstream you go, the more prevalent deep water becomes. I once saw two anglers in this stretch catch a 5- and a 7-pound brown trout within an hour.

The lower river was never stocked with trout until a local angler named Roger Blair approached me in 2002 with the idea of making this section a great trout fishery. After a number of discussions, a trip or two to examine the habitat and forage base, and a summer of water temperature data, I agreed to give stocking there a try. Blair kept an angler diary in 2003 and 2004 that showed great results and holdover trout present the year after the initial stocking. Even though it receives fewer trout than locations above Surry Mountain Lake, I believe the lower river gives anglers the best chance for larger holdover trout.

Warmwater Fish

Greg Spicher with a nice largemouth bass from May Pond. Both May and Ashuelot ponds offer excellent largemouth fishing.

May and Butterfield Ponds, located in Pillsbury State Park in the town of Washington, are relatively shallow, with a total area of about 150 acres. Boat traffic is usually minimal and although pickerel and hornpout are present, most anglers pursue largemouth bass there.

Ashuelot Pond (aka Washington Pond) in the town of Washington is popular with area bass anglers. A gravel ramp with parking for four trailers provides access to this 368-acre water body. With an average depth of 8 feet and a maximum depth of 26 feet, the lake offers varied habitats with abundant aquatic vegetation most years. Species of interest include largemouth bass, pickerel, yellow perch, hornpout, and sunfish. This pond is also popular with ice anglers.

Surry Mountain Lake in Surry is a 350-acre impoundment created for flood control in 1941 by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. It is relatively shallow, with an average depth of 5 feet and a maximum depth of 14 feet. A boat launch and swimming area are available for a nominal fee, as are campsites. Despite its prevalence of shallow water, I have seen pictures of several largemouth bass caught there that topped 6 pounds. Pickerel, black crappie, and big bluegill can all be found here and a popular winter fishery exists. The place is loaded with stunted yellow perch, so firetiger lure patterns are a good choice.

Smallmouth bass in the lower Ashuelot River get bigger the closer you get to the confluence with the Connecticut River.

Fishing for warmwater species below Surry Mountain Lake is hit or miss until you reach the lower river in Winchester. That being said, the area right below the Colony Mill Dam on West Street in Keene can sometimes be good for pickerel and sunfish, and I have caught smallmouth bass and some massive fallfish in the Westport Rapids sections in Swanzey.

Some fast smallmouth bass action can be had between the two upper dams on Route 119 in Winchester and below the lower of these two dams. I’ve never caught anything over 14 inches in that section, but the bass are a lot of fun on a light spinning or fly rod. Inline spinners or small spinnerbaits are a good lure choice, as are Muddler Minnows and bead-head Wooly Buggers for fly anglers.

A Rapala X-Rap fooled this Ashuelot River walleye. The lower river can produce some great walleye fishing.

Depending on time of year, the section from the Fiske Mill Dam in Hinsdale to the confluence with the Connecticut River can be great for smallmouth bass and walleye, with the occasional largemouth thrown in for good measure. Do your homework on this section because some areas can be fished from shore, some by wading, and others only by boat. The mouth of the Ashuelot River, in particular, is a great location for walleye and smallmouth bass in spring, and for channel catfish in summer.

Jerkbaits, spinnerbaits, jigs tipped with curly tail grubs, and crankbaits have all served me well in this section. Last May, the Ashuelot was running high and muddy after a quick rainstorm, and I caught a spawned-out 19-inch walleye and a 15-inch brown trout on consecutive casts with a Rapala Husky Jerk, just feet from shore. I have also caught smallmouth bass up to 4 pounds and have seen walleye in excess of 6 pounds in this area of the river.

Regardless of your proximity to the Ashuelot River, it is worth your time to explore it, whether for an afternoon or several days. The variable habitat and multitude of species are enough to keep any angler interested and challenged.


Ashuelot River Mural

The city of Keene was once part of a large glacial lake bed known as Ashuelot Lake. Today, what remains is a 64-mile river spanning through Cheshire County from northeast to southwest and emptying into the Connecticut River at Hinsdale. “Ashuelot” is an Abenaki word meaning “place between” or “collection of many waters” or “place between the waters.” It was an important source for transportation and fishing for thousands of years.

By the early 18th century, the river provided a natural travel route for European settlers. Another reason that the river valleys were settled early was because they offered rich soil for farming and most of the early settlers were farmers. This is especially true in Keene, which was originally named “Upper Ashuelot” for the river. Swanzey, NH, just south of Keene was first named “Lower Ashuelot.”

Towns situated near the Ashuelot river, such as Keene, Swanzey, and Winchester, typically grew into regional hubs of commerce, industry and finance. Many industries of the day were dependent upon the river to power their mills. The Faulkner & Colony textile mill (est. 1815 and depicted in the mural), once situated alongside the river at West Street, became one of the town’s largest employers, for example.

Since the mid-to-late 1800s, the river has been a source of recreational activities for townspeople including swimming, fishing, ice skating, and boating. Marked trails wind their way along the river in Keene and the Ashuelot River Park is a popular spot for visitors.

The river is also an important wildlife habitat. The rare dwarf wedge mussel, blue heron, raptors, bald eagle, blue-gray gnatcatcher, loon, nighthawk, and other birds are all found along the river.

The poem seen off to the side of this mural is one that comes from a former employee of the Faulkner & Colony Mill, a woman who used to write poetry on her lunch breaks sitting out in the park.


History of Ashuelot - History

Julia Ball Thayer was born about 1836 in Winchester, New Hampshire to David Ball and Fanny Capron (IGI). She shows in the Winchester 1850 census as a 14 year old in the home of her father, David, a merchant, age 46 and her mother, age 44. Delos, 19, a clerk, and Jane, 11, show in the household. A Lucy Ball, age 40, shows in the household, likely a relative to David. Several workers reside in the home, probably employees of David. She shows as Julia B. Ball in the 1860 census at age 24, a teacher of music, in the household of David and Fanny Ball, who are now reported as age 59 and 54, respectively. Jane E. Ball. 21, is also in the household.

In the 1870 census for Winchester, she is listed as Julia A. Ball, age 34, a music teacher, with Jennie E. Ball, 31, keeping house.

By the 1880 census she has married and has moved to Keene: 1880 census Ward 5 Keene, Cheshire, NH Home on Main Street. Edward C. Thayer 47 Manufacturer b Mass Parents both born Mass. Julia B Thayer 45 Keeping House b NH Parents both born NH. Delos, Jennie, and a son of Delos also are in the household.

In the 1900 census for Ward 5, Keene, Julia B. Thayer shows as the head of household, age 65, with her brother, Delos, aged 68, and sister, Jane E., aged 61, living with her.

Mr. Edward Carrington Thayer was born in Uxbridge, Worcester County, Massachusetts May 10,1828 to Joseph and Chloe Taft Thayer who had been married in Uxbridge Sept 3, 1818 (Uxbridge Vital Records to the year 1850). Edward was one of at least 6 children (IGI). Joseph was a well-to-do farmer and attorney.

Edward shows in the 1850 and 1860 Uxbridge censuses in his parent’s household and lived in Uxbridge at least as late as the 1870 census. In the 1870 census Joseph shows a net worth of $100,000 and Edward as a farmer in his father’s household. After the 1870 census Edward apparently moved to Keene, N.H.

Mr Thayer served on the city council of Keene from Ward 5 in 1876 and 1877 and as Ward 5 Alderman in 1878 (Anon., 1886) In 1885 Edward Thayer was treasurer of The Ashuelot Manufacturing Co., incorporated 1878, which manufactured Union and Moscow beavers. About 250 hands operated the 12 sets of woolen cards. The mill, located on the Ashuelot River, was 3 stories high and 200 feet long with several out buildings.

He served as president of a savings bank, The Cheshire Provident Institution (est 1833) in Keene. He was a partner in Thayer and Turner’s Woolen Mills in Lower Ashuelot and Vice President of the Cheshire R.R. He was also president of the Winchester National Bank from 1876 through 1885 (Childs, 1885). Edward C. Thayer died July 4, 1898 in Keene at age 70 (Griffin, 1904).

The family was very generous to the city of Keene and many other places. In 1893, Edward Thayer gave the city of Uxbridge, Massachusetts, a building in his parents' honor to be a new home for the town library, then located in the Town Hall.

The Uxbridge native spent $33,500 on the Thayer Memorial Building: $28,000 for construction, $4,000 for its North Main Street parcel and $1,500 on furnishings from Boston's Paine Furniture Co., whose founders once lived in Uxbridge. (See http://www.uxbridgenow.com/townissues/townhall/Town%20Hall%20holds%20the%20ghosts12_7_2003.htm

Just before he died, Edward Thayer gave the city of Keene the Henry Colony House on West Street in May, 1898 for use as a public library and his widow and niece gave $5000 for the purchase of books. The offer to the city can be found at _http://www.ci.keene.nh.us/library/appendix.html_
(http://www.ci.keene.nh.us/library/appendix.html) .

The building was remodeled and dedicated in February, 1899 after Edward’s death (Griffin, 1904) The Piqua Memorial Hospital of Piqua, Miami County, Ohio, was built with the donation of Mrs. Edward C. Thayer in memory of her brother Delos C. Ball, a resident of that town from 1855-1870. The hospital was built at a cost of $20,000 and dedicated Nov 30, 1905. (Anonymous, 1919-1920)


History of Ashuelot - History

Emplacement: South of N.H. Route 119 in the Upper Village of Ashuelot on Bolton Road over the Ashuelot River in the Town of Winchester. Style of Bridge: Town lattice truss patented by Connecticut architect Ithiel Town in 1820 and 1835. Year of Construction: 1864 Original Cost: $4650 Structural Characteristics: The bridge is 169'0" long and made up of two spans of 77'0" and 77'3" in length. It has an overall width of 28'6" and has a maximum vertical clearance of 11'7". There are sidewalks on both sides of the bridge. The structure is currently posted for six tons. Maintained By: Town of Winchester World Guide Number: 29-03-02 New Hampshire Number: 1

Historical Remarks: The Ashuelot covered bridge is considered by local historians to be one of New Hampshire's most elaborate covered bridges. The original purpose of the bridge was to transport wood across the river for use by the Ashuelot Railroad. The railroad had a station in the village of Ashuelot. This structure has also been called the Village Bridge or Village Station Bridge. Some sources credit Nicholas Powers as the builder. The Ashuelot Bridge is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

New Hampshire Covered Bridges
Compiled and edited by
Richard G. Marshall
Chief System Planning
New Hampshire Department of Transportation
Color photographs by Arthur F. Rounds
1994


Keene Genealogy (in Cheshire County, NH)

NOTE: Additional records that apply to Keene are also found through the Cheshire County and New Hampshire pages.

Keene Birth Records

New Hampshire, Birth Records, 1631-present New Hampshire Division of Vital Records Administration

Keene Cemetery Records

Greenlawn Cemetery Billion Graves

Monadnock View Cemetery Billion Graves

Woodland Cemetery Billion Graves

Keene Census Records

Recensement fédéral des États-Unis, 1790-1940 Recherche de famille

Keene Church Records

Keene City Directories

Keene (New Hampshire) city directories - 1877-1878 Genealogy Gophers

Keene 1993 City Directory Historic Map Works

Keene city directory : embracing a general directory of the citizens, a full business directory, the national state county and city governments for the years 1895-6 Internet Archive

Keene Death Records

New Hampshire, Death Records, 1654-present New Hampshire Division of Vital Records Administration

Keene Histories and Genealogies

A History of the Town of Keene : from 1732, when the township was granted by Massachusetts, to 1874, when it became a city Genealogy Gophers

A history of the town of Keene, from 1732, when the township was granted by Massachusetts, to 1874, when it became a city Genealogy Gophers

Keene Immigration Records

Keene Land Records

Keene Map Records

Keene 1853 Wall Map Historic Map Works

Sanborn Fire Insurance Map from Keene, Cheshire County, New Hampshire, February 1892 Library of Congress

Sanborn Fire Insurance Map from Keene, Cheshire County, New Hampshire, October 1897 Library of Congress

Sanborn Fire Insurance Map from Keene, Cheshire County, New Hampshire, September 1884 Library of Congress

Keene Marriage Records

New Hampshire, Marriage Records, 1652-present New Hampshire Division of Vital Records Administration

Keene Military Records

Keene Newspapers and Obituaries

Cheshire Advertiser 01/19/1792 to 12/06/1792 Genealogy Bank

Columbian Informer or Cheshire Journal 05/09/1793 to 04/21/1795 Genealogy Bank

Farmer's Museum 01/30/1829 to 12/29/1877 Genealogy Bank

Free Soil Palladium 08/22/1848 to 09/26/1848 Genealogy Bank

New Hampshire Sentinel 03/23/1799 to 12/30/1891 Genealogy Bank

New-Hampshire Recorder 08/21/1787 to 02/24/1791 Genealogy Bank

Rising Sun 08/11/1795 to 06/23/1798 Genealogy Bank

Offline Newspapers for Keene

Selon le US Newspaper Directory, les journaux suivants ont été imprimés, il peut donc y avoir des copies papier ou microfilm disponibles. Pour plus d'informations sur la façon de localiser les journaux hors ligne, consultez notre article sur la localisation des journaux hors ligne.

American News. (Keene, N.H.) 1851-1855

Cheshire Advertiser. (Keene, N.H.) 1792-1790s

Cheshire County Republican and Farmers' Museum. (Keene, N.H.) 1834-1835

Cheshire Republican Keene Free Press. (Keene, N.H.) 1910-1914

Cheshire Republican and Farmer's Museum. (Keene, N.H.) 1836-1842

Cheshire Republican and Farmer. (Keene, N.H.) 1843-1852

Cheshire Republican. (Keene, N.H.) 1853-1910

Church Union. (Keene, N.H.) 1892-1890s

Columbian Informer, Or, Cheshire Journal. (Keene, N.H.) 1793-1795

Daily Tribune. (Keene, N.H.) 1889-1890

Granite State Journal. (Keene, N.H.) 1869-1909

Keene Evening Sentinel. (Keene, N.H.) 1890-1972

Keene Sentinel. (Keene, N.H.) 1972-Current

New England Observer. (Keene, N.H.) 1878-1889

New-Hampshire Recorder and the Weekly Advertiser. (Keene, N.H.) 1787-1791

Newhampshire Sentinel. (Keene, N.H.) 1799-1957

Non-Resistant. (Boston) 1839-1845

Norfolk Day Book. (Norfolk and Portsmouth Va.) 1868-1880

Observateur. (Keene, N.H.) 1890-1893

Philanthropist. (Keene, N.H.) 1845-1848

Rising Sun. (Keene, N.H.) 1795-1798

Spirit of the Times. (Keene, N.H.) 1849-1850

Étudiant. (Keene, N.H.) 1883-1880s

Keene Probate Records

New Hampshire, Cheshire County, Probate Estate Files, 1886-1900 Family Search

Keene School Records

Keene Tax Records

Ajouts ou corrections à cette page ? Nous accueillons vos suggestions via notre page Contactez-nous


New Hampshire’s Turnpike History

traversed by fast-moving gas-driven automobiles. Most forget that the first New Hampshire turnpike system was created through turnpike corporations which built 500 miles of toll roads, and more than 80 New Hampshire turnpikes during the years 1796-1830.

These turnpikes, built by private corporations, sold shares to the general public. The money raised was used to construct these toll roads. The actual term “turnpike” refers to a barrier built across the highway, to be opened only after the required tolls were paid. These tollgates were set up at every mile. A typical charge in the early days of NH, for a horse and rider, was one cent.

In the palmy days of the Turnpike fair,
With its toll-gates, and keepers ever there,
And latter days of the “New Road” to Weare–
Four daily, twelve passenger, six-horse Coaches,
Here, up and down, made pleasant approaches,
Foretold by the notes of the winding horn,
Cheerfully ahead on the breezes borne.
Old Wheat was first, of whom we will speak:
He drove to Boston, and back the same week!
Once, fording the swollen Souhegan, his team
Was carried away and lost in the stream.
A monstrous long nose his phiz did adorn–
They said “he blew it, instead of a horn
!”
— from poem, Fragrant Memories, by Edward D. Boylston, from book, “Colonial Amherst” by Emma P. Boylston Locke, 1916

Les First New Hampshire Turnpike, was incorporated in 1796, and was completed in 1801. It connected Portsmouth, New Hampshire’s only seaport, with the state capitol, Concord. It ran thirty-six miles from the Piscataqua Bridge in Durham through Lee, Barrington, Nottingham, Northwood, Epsom, Chichester, and Pembroke to the Federal Bridge over the Merrimack River in Concord NH. This ancient turnpike is much of the present Route 4. New Hampshire Historical Marker #181 commemorates this turnpike.

Second New Hampshire Turnpike, was chartered in 1799, and completed in 1801. This was the connecting route between Boston MA and Vermont. Some New Hampshire towns on this route include Unity, Francestown, Mont Vernon, and Amherst, among others. It stretched from Claremont and Cornish NH to to Amherst NH. Teams from a portion of central Vermont began to pass over this route, and instead of the older two-horse coach of Joseph Wheat, which made a weekly trip from Amherst to Boston and back without a change of horses, a line of four-horse coaches began to run tri-weekly from Windsor VT to Boston, returning on alternate days. Large droves of cattle and sheep went to market over the road, and the amount of freight in both directions soon became so large that six-horse teams were employed at all seasons of the year. Ox-teams grew out of use, and when the farmer, ignoring the professional teamster, still continued in winter to take his own produce to market, he used the double “pung” with steel shoes an inch thick. The town of Francestown NH once collected a toll of one cent per mile from traveling coaches and wagons. For nearly thirty years a vast amount of travel from Canada, Vermont and western New Hampshire passed over this road, and great quantities of merchandise were transported over it.

Third New Hampshire Turnpike, was incorporated in 1799, and was four rods wide, and fifty miles long. It was built from Walpole New Hampshire, through the towns of Keene Jaffrey, Marlborough, and Sharon, toward the Massachusetts line to Townsend. The building of this road was strongly opposed by the town of New Ipswich, who wished it to take a more southerly route. The contract for constructing it was taken by Col. Bellows of Walpole and others. It cost about $50,000, divided into shares of $200. A very small dividend was declared for a few years, but in 1813 the stock had depreciated so much that it sold for twelve dollars a share. About the year 1819 it was made a free road and adopted by the town. A toll house and gate stood on this road from 1803 and 1822, and is commemorated with New Hampshire historic marker #68.

Fourth NH Turnpike. During the period between 1800 and 1830, subsistence farming was transformed to commercial farming as transportation along the Connecticut River was supplemented by the completion of the Fourth New Hampshire Turnpike, linking Lebanon to the seacoast, and by the incorporation of the Croydon Turnpike in 1804, allowing fast transport of food products. The convergence of the rivers and these turnpikes in Lebanon, along with the White River Turnpike and the Hanover Branch Turnpike supported a number of inns and public houses in town along these well-traveled routes and provided an excellent location for industrial development. Enfield was one of the townships on this route.

The Branch Road and Bridge Company was incorporated June 16, 1802 and went from Keene, corner of Swanzey, Marlborough, to north line of Fitzwilliam, for a distance of 7 miles, 195 rods at a cost of $7,510.

The 5th N.H. turnpike appears to have been incorporated but not commenced.

The 6th N.H. turnpike, Road and Bridge Company was incorporated June 16, 1802 and went from Brattleborough VT bridge over Connecticut River, Hinsdale, Winchester, to Massachusetts line at Warwick – cost $16,000.

Proprietors Dover Turnpike Road was incorporated December 21, 1803–from Dover, Somersworth, to Berwick, Maine for a distance of 4-1/2 miles.

Coos Turnpike Road, was incorporated December 29, 1803 and extended from Haverhill through Piermont and Warren and to Baker’s River, near Merrill’s Mills for a distance of 12 miles and a cost of $15,074. ” Although Coos County had been given an outlet through the Crawford Notch by the Tenth New Hampshire turnpike, the old road down the Connecticut Valley still held its place on account of the ties which bound the Coos settlers to the lower valley towns from which many of them had originally come and the Coos turnpike was held with enthusiasm. This turnpike was completed two years after its charter was granted and was for more than a generation the great thoroughfare in northern New Hampshire and made Haverhill during these years the liveliest town north of Concord. This turnpike was the predecessor of the White Mountain Division of the Boston & Main Railroad and it was operated until nearly the opening of the railroad. It was a common occurrence for the natives of Coos County to drive their cattle and turkeys to market over this highway. It is recorded that there was at one time a flock of five hundred turkeys driven from St. Johnsbury to Lowell over this road. The custodian of the flock found that he had a gobbler of such dignity that he could lead the way and that all the flock would follow, so in this manner he led his procession at a rate of twenty-three miles a day until its destination was reached without the loss of a single bird.” [section in quotations from White Mountain Echo, Bethlehem NH, 2 August 1924].

Orford Turnpike Road was incorporated December 27, 1803.

Tenth NH Turnpike. On December 28, 1803, a turnpike, the tenth in New Hampshire, was incorporated and shortly afterward there was constructed through the Notch at an expense of $40,000 for twenty miles, the money being raised by lottery. It occupied to some extend the site of the old road, and became one of the best-paying turnpikes in the northern part of the state. A Dr. Shattuck, of Boston, in his account, published in the Philadelphia Medical and Physical Journal of 1808, writes of his excursion to the “White Hills” of New Hampshire the previous year, stating “a turnpike-road is now [August 1807] building from Bath, through the Notch, to Portland.”

The Charlestown Turnpike Road was incorporated on December 27, 1803 from Charlestown, Acworth to the Second NH Turnpike in Lempster for a distance of 12 miles.

The Mayhew Turnpike Road was incorporated on December 29, 1803, from New Chester, Bristol, Hebron, corner of Plymouth, toward Haverhill, for a distance of 17 miles.

The Chester Turnpike Road was incorporated on June 12, 1804 and extended from Pembroke through Allenstown, Candia, to Chester, for a distance of 14 miles.

The Londonderry Turnpike Road was incorporated June 1804 from Concord, Bow, Hooksett, Chester, Londonderry, corner of Windham Salem, to line of Massachusetts, a distance of 35 miles.

Grafton Turnpike Road was incorporated June 21, 1804 from Orford, Lime, corner of Hanover, Canaan, Orange, Grafton, Danbury, New-Chester to the Fourth NH Turnpike on Andover, a distance of 35 miles.

The Jefferson Turnpike Road, incorporated December 11, 1804, from Lancaster, Jefferson, Bretton-Woods, to the Tenth NH Turnpike, a distance of 14 miles, at a cost of $18,400.

The Croydon Turnpike Road, incorporated June 21, 1804 from Lebanon, corner of Plainfield, Grantham, Croydon, Newport, Lempster, to Second NH Turnpike in Washington, a distance of 34 miles, at an expense of $35,948.

The Cheshire Turnpike Road, was incorporated December 13, 1804, from Charlestown, Langdon, part of Walpole, Alstead, Surry to Third NH Turnpike in Keene, a distance of 24 miles at a cost of $19,610.

The Ashuelot Turnpike Road, was incorporated June 18, 1807, from the Sixth NH Turnpike in Winchester, Richmond, Fitzwilliam Village, a distance of 15 miles.

Rindge Turnpike Road was incorporated June 12, 1807, from Branch Turnpike in Fitzwilliam, through Rindge, to line of Massachusetts, at corner of New-Ipswich, a distance of 4 miles.

The Cornish Turnpike Road, was incorporated December 23, 1808, from Cornish Bridge to Croydon Turnpike in Newport for a distance of 11 miles.

The Hampton Causeway Turnpike Corporation was incorporated December 23, 1808 in Hampton, a distance of 1-3/4 miles at a cost of $14,173.66.

The Fitzwilliam Village Turnpike Road was incorporated December 9, 1809 from the village in Fitzwilliam to the line of Massachusetts, a distance of 4-1/2 miles.

Londonderry Branch Turnpike Road, went from Hooksett, Bow, to Hopkinton, a distance of 11 miles.

The Sanbornton Turnpike Road, from Sanbornton to New Hampton for a distance of 10 miles.

The loftiest turnpike of New England is the Mount Washington Summit Road. The charter to this company was granted in 1853 with the privilege to build a turnpike from Peabody River Valley over the top of Mount Washington to a point between the Notch and Cherry Mountain. The summit was made accessible to carriages in August 1861. Under the franchise of 1859 the carriage road up Mt. Washington is in operation and in 1924 tolls were still collected from those passing over it. [White Mountain Echo, Bethlehem NH, 2 August 1924]

The last turnpike charter in New England was granted by the New Hampshire Legislature of 1893 to the Mount Prospect Hotel Company which was incorporated and intended to construct a road from Lancaster to Whitefield with a side road to the summit of Mount Prospect which was then the summer home of Secretary of War, John Weeks. However, nothing was ever done under this charter and the road up the mountain today is the private venture of Mr. Weeks. [White Mountain Echo, Bethlehem NH, 2 August 1924].

The temporary death of the toll road.
Eventually other and easier roads to market were constructed, the railroad was introduced, and although New Hampshire’s toll roads were still used, most of them became “free” roads owned by their respective townships. New Hampshire roads remained maintained this way until the advent and frequent use of motorized vehicles–automobiles. Toll-roads again became popular in the 1960s.

President Eisenhower signed the Federal Highway Act in 1956, which created today’s Interstate Highway system. East-west interstate route numbers end in an even number. North-south routes end in an odd number. This resulted of the building of Interstates 93 and 293, F.E. Everett Turnpike, NH Routes 101, 3 and 3A in New Hampshire. When I was growing up in Manchester, New Hampshire, when Interstate 293 was being built, we called it the “Beltway.”

Probably one of the most well known turnpikes in New Hampshire, that is named after a New Hampshire resident, is the “F.E. Everett Turnpike,” or the “Everett Turnpike” for short. I went through most of my life driving over that piece of road, not knowing how it received its name. It was named after Frederic Elwin Everett. the first NH State Highway commissioner. (see his family tree below)

FOR A MORE COMPLETE LISTING OF THE NEW HAMPSHIRE TURNPIKE SYSTEM SEE: –The Turnpikes of New England: History of the NH Turnpike (Google Books)

* Family Tree of Frederick Elwin Everett *

Photograph of Frederick Everett, from The Granite Monthly, Vol 56, No. 2, February 1924


Ashuelot River Headwaters Forest

Both Silver and Bean Mountains are within eyeshot of Mounts Monadnock, Sunapee, and Kearsarge – three iconic New Hampshire summits that the Forest Society worked to conserve. However, unlike these popular neighbors, the peaks of the Ashuelot River headwaters remain comparatively undiscovered by hiking crowds.

Silver Mountain

Directly north of Sand Pond, Silver Mountain has been hiked by the area’s year-round and summer residents for more than a century. The trail up the mountain climbs, sometimes steeply, through pines and hemlocks. Approaching the top, it opens up to blueberry bushes covering the flat height of land, mixing with long grass, granite, and a handful of stunted trees.

The most dramatic views are westward, overlooking the village of Lempster and the hills and hollows, farms and forests, and white Meetinghouse steeple of Acworth. Across the Connecticut River Valley, the distant peaks of Mount Ascutney and Vermont’s Green Mountains rise in the distance.

With barely a structure in sight, the rolling green landscape undulates northwest to Mt. Moosilaukee and Cardigan and south to the Wapack Range and Mount Monadnock. On a clear day, the Berkshires in Massachusetts are also visible. A short walk across rocky outcrops brings visitors to a good vantage point of Lovewell Mountain to the east and Mount Sunapee in the north.

This comparatively short trail to the top is frequented by the locals, who appreciate Silver Mountain’s blueberries, views, and the perspective that those views afford – being about to see the world from a vantage point accessible to only a few.

Bean Mountain

Bean Mountain remains the wilder of the two tracts that make up the Ashuelot River Headwaters Forest. As the source of the Ashuelot River, it includes more than 11,000 feet of frontage along the river, which supplies drinking water to the City of Keene and other downstream communities. The river and its many tributaries flow downhill through the spruce-fir and northern hardwood forests that give the land its northern “highlands” character, setting it apart from the hemlock-beech-oak-pine forests that make up most of the Ashuelot watershed.

The topography of the landscape varies dramatically, from summit of Bean Mountain to a high quality emergent marsh-shrub swamp, providing important habitat for a range of wildlife that include moose, deer, bear, songbirds, fisher, and bobcat, as well as river species such as native brook trout, mink, otter, waterfowl, and numerous reptiles and amphibians. Its rich wildlife resources have made the Ashuelot River Headwaters a conservation priority in several natural resource plans, including the bi-state Quabbin-to-Cardigan Conservation Plan, the NH Fish and Game Department’s Wildlife Action Plan, and the regional Ashuelot River Land Conservation Plan.

The land is part of a 10,000-acre block of forest that forms a critical link between two of the largest blocks of connected forest south of the White Mountains: the 25,000-acre Pillsbury-Sunapee Highlights, and the 11,000-acre Andorra Forest. The Bean Mountain Tract creates a bridge between Pillsbury State Park to the northeast and the Long Pond Town Forest to the southwest, building a large corridor of conserved, connected open space that allows individual creatures to continue to move between populations. Without this connectivity, the exchanges that ensure the long-term survival of species are choked off. Human activities, including road use and development, threaten to permanently separate animal populations.


Voir la vidéo: LHISTOIRE DE FRANCE EN 38 MINUTES